Overton County

Overton County was established in 1806 and named in honor of John Overton.

Historic Sites

Photo of the Overton County Courthouse
Overton County Courthouse - Livingston, TN

Almost burned down in 1865 by a band of Confederate Guerrillas from Kentucky, the Overton County Courthouse records were saved and the building still stands, preserving the historic character of Livingston's town square. The original courthouse was burned by Captain John Francis and a band of Confederate guerillas from Kentucky in April of 1865. This senseless act so close to the end of the Civil War might have destroyed all early County Records had it not been for County Register of deeds James Richardson. Mr. Richardson had hidden the county deed books in the cellar of his home. A few record books in the offices of the County Clerk, the circuit Court Clerk and the clerk and master were also saved.

Alpine Institute

The Alpine Institute was a Presbyterian mission school located in Overton County, Tennessee, United States. Operating in one form or another from 1821 until 1947, the school provided badly needed educational services to children living in the remote hill country of the Upper Cumberland region. In 2002, several of the school's surviving structures were added to the National Register of Historic Places as a historic district. John Dillard (1793–1884), a minister affiliated with the Cumberland Presbyterian Church of Southern Appalachia, established the Alpine School atop Alpine Mountain in 1821 and expanded the school in the 1840s. The school was burned by bushwhackers during the Civil War and again by the Ku Klux Klan in the years after the war. The school was re-established in 1880 at its current location at the base of Alpine Mountain, and under the leadership of future Tennessee governor A. H. Roberts continued to thrive into the following decade. In 1917, the better-funded Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) assumed control of the school and helped it develop into one of the state's most competitive rural schools.

American Legion Bohannon Post # 4

Located in Livingston, the American Legion Post #4 was listed on the NRHP in 2012 for its local significance in the social history of Overton County. Constructed in 1948, the building consists of a modified Quonset hut. Acquired by the American Legion in 1949, the building has also been utilized by the community for a host of social functions.

Governor A.H. Roberts Law Office

Roberts Law Office was listed on the NRHP in 1974 for its architectural significance as a local example of East Lake architecture. Constructed ca. 1885, the building exhibits highly ornamental millwork as evidenced on the porch and gable roof. In addition, the building is historically significant as the former law office of Governor Albert H. Roberts who rented the building from ca. 1901 to 1913. In 1919, Roberts became Governor of Tennessee. As governor, Roberts signed Tennessee's ratification of the 19th Amendment, which granted women the right to vote. The building originally stood in downtown Livingston, but was later moved to the corner of Roberts Street and University Avenue.

Overton County Heritage Museum

What was once the Sheriff's office and county jail is currently home to the Overton County Historical Museum. The modest, formerly red brick two-story building is now painted a light gray, and has undergone a complete facelift including landscaping and shutters and interior remodeling. The museum opened in March 2002 with only a few exhibits assembled by a handful of volunteers, and has since expanded to fill the entire upper floor. Generous donations and increased numbers of volunteers have helped the museum to grow, and the development of permanent exhibits on the lower floors are now being planned.